Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My Current Addiction

Or How My Cell Phone Encourages My Writing

I love my MOTO Q. A few months ago I decided it was time to upgrade my cell phone. I'm not really a texter, but I kinda wanted to try a Smart Phone. I read up on it because I didn't want to pay a lot of money for something I wouldn't like. I leaned toward a BlackBerry at first, but then I noticed the Windows compatible phones. I really liked the fact that the Windows compatible phones have Word and OneNote. I went to the local U.S. Cellular store and fell in love with the lime MOTO Q. The sales lady told me to give it a week or so and then I'd like it. I was totally in love after a few hours.

I love this phone because I'm always in touch with the rest of the world and it eliminates boredom in many situations. I've had bronchitis the last couple of weeks, so I've spent several hours in doctors' offices. There have been a few days when I hardly felt like getting out of bed, and this phone let me email and work on a rough draft. I only had to move my thumbs.

That reminded me of my fiction writing in high school. To occupy myself (and my friends) in certain classes, I wrote short stories on my TI-something calculator. (That was in the late 90s before the days of cool cell phones and text messaging.) I would write and pass the calculator on to my friends to read.

In a sense I feel like my writing has come full circle. I've gone from writing on a calculator to a Smart Phone. But more people are reading the Smart Phone material. (I wrote my December column for the Knoxville News Sentinel on the MOTO Q.)

I think I'll go work on some writing projects that don't fit well on the MOTO Q.

No comments: