Tinga takes a little longer to cook than some dishes, but it is well worth the time.
3-4 split chicken breasts (grocery stores have sales on these a lot)
3-4 fresh tomatoes OR 1 can tomato sauce
1-2 chipotle peppers (start with a few and add more for desired level of spiciness)
1. Boil chicken breasts for about an hour.
2. In a blender, mix tomatoes (or sauce) with chipotle peppers.
3. Slice onions into thin rings.
4. When chicken is thoroughly cooked, remove from pot and let cool. Discard fat. Using two forks, remove chicken from the bone and discard bone. Shred chicken into thin pieces.
5. In medium size pan, add approximately 3-4 tablespoons of Canola oil. Fry onion slices in oil until tender. When onion slices are tender, add shredded chicken. Stir chicken and onions for several minutes, then add the salsa from the blender.
6. Add salt and let sautee for 5-10 minutes.
Mexicans eat tinga with tostadas.
Tip: If the salsa is too spicy, cheese or milk products relieve a burnt mouth. Queso fresco is especially good with tinga.